Major Gifts Officer
Reports to: Development director
Location: Western Wyoming
WyoFile is returning the facts to Wyoming’s civic discourse with community-supported, non-partisan watchdog journalism. To make that happen, we’re looking for an enterprising Major Gifts Officer to help execute a growth-oriented, multi-year major donor development strategy that connects the philanthropic community with our mission.
This is a rare “Goldilocks” opportunity — Wyofile is at the intersection of maturity and opportunity, and this role will be instrumental in expanding an already rapidly growing development program. The right candidate will leave their mark on WyoFile, Wyoming and American democracy.
Employees: 11 and growing
Annual budget: $1.1M
Contributing members: 1,600
160% digital user growth in last two years
50+ state and regional publications that rely on WyoFile reporting
What you’ll do:
- Execute the day-to-day, out-the-door, major-donor relationship development and stewardship work in your region needed to generate more than $400,000 per year.
- Develop goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for a portfolio of 100-150 donors, ensuring that each one receives frequent personalized contact.
- Contact, cultivate and solicit new prospective donors.
- Track, manage and report on prospect pipelines.
- Charitable foundation research and relationship networking to advance institutional grant support.
- Leverage donor network and outreach to expand a portfolio of underwriting prospects.
- Integrate work into donor management database to ensure consistent data management.
- Work with development staff on strategic donor communications, annual reports, newsletters, and other communications that advance WyoFile’s mission and visibility.
- Collaborate on seasonal membership drives.
- Other work in collaboration with development staff includes, but is not limited to, event planning and execution, board of directors relations and local advisory group support.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Relationship fluency. You are a person who connects easily with people of all descriptions and for whom the intricacies of relationship management are as natural as breathing. You easily navigate human connections and cultivate relationships as a matter of course.
- Professional persuasiveness. You are comfortable identifying, drawing out and addressing objections; able to craft a compelling message and adapt it to your audience and situation; and are effective face-to-face, on the phone and in writing. You relish asking the tough question. You love to close.
- Solution seeking instincts. You are constantly seeking common values and interests, in whatever form, to work toward shared solutions.
- Goal orientation and intrinsic motivation. Challenges inspire you, particularly when the objective is clear. You are accustomed to tackling ambitious, complex initiatives in which failure is not an option.
- Effective communications. You have the ability to convey the importance of independent local news for a thriving democracy and a healthy community.
- Organization. You have, or are able to create, the systems, tools and infrastructure necessary to organize a broad array of relationships, tasks, and short- and long-term objectives within the development program.
We’re especially interested in candidates who:
- Have demonstrated experience with major gifts work and CRM tools
- Are personally grounded in the unique cultures of Wyoming
- Have worked in or can demonstrate a passion for journalism
WyoFile is committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we seek to serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for our Major Gifts Officer job, including women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people who are differently abled.
Start date: Spring 2022
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Location: Western Wyoming, semi-remote
Significant windshield time — long hours traversing Wyoming’s wild wonderful landscape — required.
WyoFile offers unlimited paid time off, excellent health insurance, a matched SIMPLE IRA, flexible work environment and other benefits.
To apply, please address resume and cover letter to Daniel Kenah at firstname.lastname@example.org.