Racing Forward

Racing forward

Tom and Sarah Wilson finished the Lander Sprint Triathlon Saturday the same way they survived the last year and a half; holding hands, together.

It didn’t matter that Sarah was the stronger swimmer and Tom the faster runner. It didn’t matter that it took them two hours and seven minutes to finish.

What mattered was a year and a half ago they held their son, born at 22 weeks, long enough to name him David Thomas Wilson, before he died in their arms. What mattered was a few months later Sarah still needed two people to help her out of bed. What mattered was that even six months ago Sarah was still in so much pain there were days she couldn’t get out of bed.

Kelsey Dayton
Kelsey Dayton

In January 2011 Sarah was about 22 weeks pregnant with the Wilsons’ second child when she started having crippling stomach pains. Her stomach swelled to look like she was full term with triplets, Tom said. But doctors didn’t know what was wrong.

They flew her to Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver where doctors realized her appendix had ruptured days before and toxins were coursing through her body.

There was a good chance they’d lose the baby and a fair chance they’d lose Sarah, doctors told Tom before wheeling his family into surgery.

Mom and baby made it out of the surgery, but Sarah’s body turned septic. Everything began to shut down. And while alone in her room, still in a drug haze, she unknowingly delivered her baby, calling for a nurse knowing only “something changed.”

David survived for about 2.5 hours, long enough for the Wilsons to hold him and capture grainy photos with a cell phone.

Weeks later Sarah still wasn’t better. Doctors went in for exploratory surgery and found scar tissue had glued Sarah’s intestine together. She spent another month in the hospital recovering.

Sarah watched her daughter, Katie, then only a year and a half, grow up during hospital visits and in photographs friends sent. Her hair would be longer. She’d be taller. When Katie first came to the hospital Sarah tried to kneel on the ground beside her daughter. She was too weak to stand back up alone.

Each day she needed a shot of a blood thinner to help prevent clots. Her arms were so bruised she asked what she could do to avoid the twice daily injections. Medical staff told her if she could walk a mile a day, or 16 laps around the hospital, she wouldn’t need the shot. She started with one lap, and then rested. She couldn’t do them all at once, and she often needed help from a walker, or her IV pole, but most days Sarah got in her 16 laps. When Katie was there, she’d tottle alongside and when Sarah got tired Katie would chant, “go, go, go.”

It was the start of Sarah’s fitness routine.

Tom and Sarah Wilson reach the finish line of the Lander Sprint Triathlon Saturday holding hands. (WyoFile/Kelsey Dayton — click to enlarge)

The Wilsons returned to Lander in March after two months in the hospital. The sun hurt Sarah’s eyes the first time she stepped outside.

By August Sarah and Tom made the 3-mile round-trip hike to the Popo Agie Falls. It was a painful hike that took hours.

In mid-August Sarah was running errands in Lander and she happened to drive by the finish of Lander’s first sprint triathlon. Sarah didn’t bike or run, but she came home and told Tom that next year she wanted to do it.

We belong there, she said.

It seemed almost impossible.

“I was in the worst shape of my life,” Sarah said.

There were still days she couldn’t walk, but the goal was set.

Early in their marriage, Tom and Sarah were active people who liked to hike. Sarah skied and Tom ran. They both started master’s degree programs and then had Katie. Regular exercise fell by the wayside.

Sarah vowed to get into shape and contacted a personal trainer. She’d make small strides, but then find herself bed ridden, the pain in her stomach like someone hitting her with a baseball bat.

Scar tissue was again causing adhesions in her abdomen, but more surgery put her at risk for more adhesions. Instead she changed her diet, cutting out meat, a hardship for her “carnivorous family,” but she noticed an immediate change in how she felt. That spring she started regularly running on the treadmill, first just a few minutes and then eventually a mile and finally three.

She took a cycling class and came home the first night crying because she was slower than the others in class. But she went back and stuck with it.

Tom took a swimming class, admitting he still “swims like a cat,” but he worked his way up to the half mile required for the triathlon.

The Wilsons realized they’d have to wait for each other during the race, but it was important they do it together.

“Finishing together is symbolic,” Tom said. “That’s how we’ve gotten through everything, together.”

The day of the race the Wilsons were two of about 25 first time triathlon racers in a field of about 100.

Fitness-wise Sarah said she still wasn’t 100 percent, but she knew they were strong enough to finish and when it got tough they knew they’d only have to look sideways to find support.

“Things like we’ve been through either blow a marriage apart or cement it permanently,” Tom said.

And so they swam 750 meters, or about half a mile, and biked more than 12 miles and ran a 5K and crossed the finish line, fingers intertwined, hands above their heads, together.

— “Peaks to Plains” is a blog focusing on Wyoming’s outdoors and communities. Kelsey Dayton is a freelance writer based in Lander. She has been a journalist in Wyoming for seven years, reporting for the Jackson Hole News & Guide, Casper Star-Tribune and the Gillette News-Record. Contact Kelsey at

REPUBLISH THIS POST: For details on how you can republish this post or other WyoFile content for free, click here.

If you enjoyed this story and would like to see more quality Wyoming journalism, please consider supporting WyoFile: a non-partisan, non-profit news organization dedicated to in-depth reporting on Wyoming’s people, places and policy.

Kelsey Dayton is a freelancer and the editor of Outdoors Unlimited, the magazine of the Outdoor Writers Association of America. She has worked as a reporter for the Gillette News-Record, Jackson Hole News&Guide...

Join the Conversation


Want to join the discussion? Fantastic, here are the ground rules: * Provide your full name — no pseudonyms. WyoFile stands behind everything we publish and expects commenters to do the same. * No personal attacks, profanity, discriminatory language or threats. Keep it clean, civil and on topic. *WyoFile does not fact check every comment but, when noticed, submissions containing clear misinformation, demonstrably false statements of fact or links to sites trafficking in such will not be posted. *Individual commenters are limited to three comments per story, including replies.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Such an incredible, inspiring and moving story. Thank you so much for writing, Kelsey and for sharing Tom and Sarah. My heart goes out to you both.

  2. I was volunteering at the bike transition area and watched Tom and Sarah ride in. They both looked happy and strong! What an amazing story you did Kelsey. Way to go Team Wilson! WAY TO GO!!